.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Thursday, August 18, 2005

They all grow up

I had a visitor stop by yesterday. I know I kept staring while she was here, but I just can't get over how beautiful she is. I know she'll blush when she reads this, and swear at me under her breath, but there ya go...sorry Nikki. I had to stop once while I was talking and say 'you're so pretty'. See, the thing is, I've known this girl, young woman, since she was a child. Her family use to live across the street from us. I've been thinking since we spent the afternoon together yesterday, how blessed I am to have lived on this street for the past 20 years. I've got my best friends living on each side of me (how many people can say that?) and I've never had to worry about locking my car or my home.
Anyway, years ago Nikki and 3 other girls (Abi, Kelly and Chelsea) all lived with-in 4 houses each way of us, all different families, all best of friends. I've watched these kids grow up into wonderful and beautiful women. We were all neighbors as they went from grade school to high school graduation before they moved off the street. When they were old enough, they'd babysit my kids, they've taken care of my animals and housesitted my home. I've known their boyfriends (loved some, closed my eyes and shook my head at others), known their joys and shared their fights. We've always stayed close. Nikki and Abi taught Casey how to ride his first bike. They painted faces at the kids birthday parties. There have been times I wanted to spank their butts, and times I've lit up with pride for them. Chelsea still lives next door with her mom. Nikki lives with her long, long, long time boyfriend, Abi and Kelly each live on their own. I can't express how proud I am of these girls, sorry...young women. Each is beautiful. No, I'm serious, not just cute or pretty...somehow they've each grown into gorgeous women. I'm so surprised at how well they're all doing, thinking back to how I was at 20 - 23, these girls are great examples of what our youth can do. I'm so proud of them. And I'm glad that they shared in raising my kids and that my kids have shared in what turned these girls into what they are. Our families all shared similar values, all cared about each other (and still do...nearly all of us are still on the street), and we've all taken a part in raising each others kids.
Reminds me of 'It takes a village to raise a child'. I'm so glad that the girls have remained in our lives as they've grown up. It's funny though, because they talk about how fast the boys have grown. They can't get over that they're so tall...that they're in high school, that Casey is driving... Yeah darlin's, I know the feeling. Welcome to my world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home