.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Kitty Kitty

Yeah, so okay...I'm still wanting the cat Mark gave me permission (honestly, I did try to type that with a straight face...) to get as one of my Christmas gifts. I keep checking all the local vets, PetSmarts, Petcos and even on-line at humane society web sites. I want a kitten because I have dreams of raising it into an extremely affectionate lap cat. My two cats are very sweet natured but not 'lap' cats. I want a cat that will cuddle with me.

Well, apparently there are kitten seasons, which are not for another month or so yet. It's soooo hard for me because I have absolutely no patience. Trust me, I've cut my own hair for years because once I get a notion to cut it, I can't wait long enough to get an appointment.

Last Sunday after church, Mark and the boys went to play frisbee golf and some hackey sack. I went off to take some pictures, but ended up afterward at the closest PetSmart. There were two older kittens, brothers. I fell in love with one but couldn't stand the thought of separating them. The volunteers kept telling me that someone would end up separating them...and I know that's true, but I just couldn't do it. He looked like a small Bengal tiger, so adorable. His brother looked just like Trouble, my youngest cat. But they cuddled and rolled around with each other. I just couldn't be the one to make one sleep alone.

When I came home there was a young black cat in my yard. Yup. He, apparently, is a wild one. He won't come to any of my neighbors or me, but everyone has seen him around recently. So, I put a bowl of food, water and a box with a nice sheet inside of it (hey...it gets chilly out at night) on my front porch. The first day it was out there we spotted him eating the food. I don't think he's used the box, but I've filled the food bowl up several times in the last couple of days.

Now, don't get me wrong. This isn't going to be my next pet. I want an indoor cat/kitten. Although Trouble does think he's a dog and goes out and comes in with my dogs without ever trying to get out of the yard by way of fence or tree, he's still an indoor cat. But, being able to take care of this new little black cat is satisfying my need right now. Hopefully long enough for kitten season to roll around.

When Mark saw the food bowl on the porch, he just kept walking and asked "what're we feeding now?". I really did marry the right guy.

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That was a cool story. It always comforting when you are doing your "weird stuff" (and we all have some)and your partner is totally okay with it.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

what is it with you and the stray animals? :-)

7:24 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Kitten season? OMG, they have kitten season? HAHA! Too funny. I'm allergic to this post Kath. ;)

Be careful with strays. They can carry diseases.

Too funny. Mark sure knows ya! I think it's great that you're so good to animals.

I'm signing you up with PETA. You made me do it.

9:50 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

sable ~ for better or worse...I think that 'or' should be an 'and. :)

shawn ~ I adopted you quick enough, friend...it's what I do. :)

deb ~ oh, yeah. I'd never touch it, it's why I said I'd not make it my pet. But, it's homeless and hungry. PETA knows me well, hon. Love ya!

4:53 PM  
Blogger mikster said...

Now you see the difference between me and your hubby is that I would have assumed that I was in trouble...and the bowl on the porch was for me.

*snickers*

10:47 PM  
Blogger Stacy-Deanne said...

Kat, some pet folks scare me, LOL! I knew a woman one time who used to eat out of her cat's bowl, gross! Look I don't have anything against animals but I don't get how some folks seem obsessed with their pets. I know you're not like that but some people seem to take it too far. Like why they have to kiss all on them and lick all on them. I'm like, gross. Every time I see a commercial some lady is sniffing a cat's butt. Yet she won't sniff her husband's! LOL!

Also liked what you said about Brangelina on my latest post. I never had respect for Brad myself. And if she broke them up then the respect I had for her has dwindled as well.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

Too bad you didn't live in Missouri about two months ago. One of my employees was giving away kittens.

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was very kind of you to take care of a "stray" cat :)

My mom was like that, she loved dogs and would feed all the "stray" ones when she could.

thanks for visiting me :)

cheers

12:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute story...and I also didn't realize there was a kitten season lol! I hope you can find one soon!

I likes Mark's comment also...I can picture it exactly. too funny :)

Love Ya!

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY!
» » »

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home